General Framework for Managing Multiple Sclerosis with Disease Modifying Therapies
April 5, 2018
April 5, 2019
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is jointly provided by Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers and PlatformQ Health Education, LLC.
Supported by an educational grants from AbbVie, Biogen, Celgene, and Genzyme Corporation.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
Neurologists, internists, family physicians, primary care clinicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and pharmacists involved in the care of patients with MS.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Compare and contrast established and emerging disease modifying therapies for patients with relapsing forms of MS in order to facilitate individualized treatment decisions
- Develop an appropriate long-term treatment plan that considers the variable characteristics of each patient based on a model of personalized care and shared decision-making
- Develop strategies that will enhance patient education and resultant treatment adherence that include technology and effective patient centered communication strategies that accommodate patient choice and lifestyle
James D. Bowen, MD
Medical Director, Multiple Sclerosis Center
Swedish Neuroscience Institute
Clinical Associate Professor of Neurology
University of Washington in Seattle
Jerry S. Wolinsky, MD
Emeritus Professor in Neurology
McGovern Medical School, UTHealth Houston
Amy Perrin Ross, APN, MSN, CNRN, MSCN
Advanced Practice Nurse, Neuroscience Program Coordinator
Physician Accreditation Statement
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), and Platform Q Health Education. CMSC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Physician Credit Designation
The CMSC designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Certificate of Completion
A Certificate of Completion may be given upon completion of course requirements enabling you to register your credit with the appropriate licensing boards or associations. You may apply for other accreditations using the procedure established by the specific organization.
Disclosure of Financial Relationships
It is the policy of CMSC, NPA, and Platform Q Health Education to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all educational activities. All faculty, activity planners, content reviewers, and staff participating in this activity have disclosed any relevant financial relationships they or their spouse/life partner have within the previous 12 months with manufacturers of any commercial products/devices and/or providers of commercial services included in this educational activity. The intent of this disclosure is not to prevent a person with a relevant financial relationship from participating in the activity, but rather to provide participants with information on which they can base their own judgments. All presentations were reviewed by an independent clinician with no relevant financial relationships for the purpose of resolution of any identified conflict of interest and a determination of evidence-base and fair balance.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
The faculty reported the following financial relationships they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this continuing education activity:
James D. Bowen, MD
- Consulting Fees: Biogen IDEC, EMD Serono, Genentech, and Novartis.
- Speaker’s Bureau: Acorda Therapeutics, Biogen IDEC, EMD Serono, Genentech, Novartis, and Teva Neuroscience
- Funding for research: Alexion, Alkermes, Biogen IDEC, Celgene, Genzyme, Genentech, Novartis, and TG Therapeutics.
- Ownership Interest: Amgen.
Jerry S. Wolinsky, MD
- Royalties: Millipore (Chemicon International) Corporation
- Consulting Fees: Actelion, Alkermes, Biogen, Celgene, Clene Nanomedicine, EMD Serono, Forward Pharma, GeNeuro, MedDay, Novertis, Otsuka, PTC Therapeutics, Roche Genentech, and Sanofi Genzyme.
Amy Perrin Ross, APN, MSN, CNRN, MSCN
- Consulting Fees: Bayer, Celgene, EMD Serono, Genentech, Genzyme, Mallinckrodt, Roche, and TEVA.
- Speaker’s Bureau : Acorda, Biogen, EMD Serono, Genentech, Genzyme, Mallinckrodt, Novartis, and TEVA.
June Halper, MSN, APN-C, MSCN, FAAN, served as planner and reviewer for this activity. She has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Laurie Scudder, DNP, NP, served as nurse planner and reviewer for this activity. She has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
All other CMSC and Platform Q Health Education staff who are in a position to influence content have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
CMSC and Platform Q Health Education require faculty to disclose to the attendees when products or procedures being discussed are off-label, unlabeled, experimental, and/or investigational (not FDA approved); and any limitations on the information that is presented, such as data that are preliminary or that represent ongoing research, interim analyses, and/or unsupported opinion. Faculty in this activity may discuss information about pharmaceutical agents that is outside of US Food and Drug Administration approved labeling. This information is intended solely for continuing medical education and is not intended to promote off-label use of these medications. If you have questions, contact the medical affairs department of the manufacturer for the most recent prescribing information.
Method of Participation
There are no fees to participate in this activity. To participate in the activity, go to http://www.cmscscholar.com/ or www.NeuroSeriesLive.com. To receive credit, participants must (1) read the activity front matter, (2) complete the educational activity online, and (3) complete the post-test and activity evaluation. To receive AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™, participants must receive a minimum score of 70% on the post-test.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient’s conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
If you have questions about this CME/CNE activity, please contact the CMSC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 201-487-1050.
Information we collect is primarily used to communicate with program participants, award CME/CE credits, manage user accounts, recommend relevant programs and perform data analysis to inform educational outcomes.
In plain English, here is what we affirm:
- You can change your registration profile at any time from our “Profile” page
- To request any of these changes without logging in, please call us at 1 (877) 394-1306 or email us at support@PlatformQHealth.com
- You can end your association with PlatformQ Health at any time
- PlatformQ Health does not spam, nor we do we rent or sell our email list in whole or in part. Any program-related data sharing is for engagement verification and opt-in based further education
- EU citizens can request a complete record of their account and/or request to have their personal data expunged by contacting email@example.com with the subject line “Data Request”