Advances in™ Sjögren Syndrome-Related Dry Eye Disease: A Focus on Pathophysiology and Clinical Trials
May 24, 2022
May 24, 2023
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Dompé.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This online educational activity is directed toward ophthalmologists and other health care professionals involved in the treatment of patients with Sjögren syndrome-related dry eye disease.
This online educational activity is designed to provide expert interpretation of new and emerging data on the treatment of dry eye disease related to Sjögren’s syndrome, with a forward-looking perspective on how new and novel agents might impact clinical practice. The essentials of ocular disease, interplay of complex pathophysiological processes, and gaps in the standard of care that may be filled by emerging therapies will be presented in a multimedia format, including a series of video interviews with expert thought leaders integrated into text-based elements.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Discuss the pathophysiologic mechanisms responsible for the development of dry eye symptoms in patients with Sjögren syndrome
- Outline the mechanisms of action for therapies under investigation in the management of Sjögren dry eye
- Summarize clinical trials for agents under investigation for the treatment of Sjögren dry eye
- Select patients appropriate for clinical trials of investigational therapies for Sjögren dry eye based on presentation and goals of participation
Esen K. Akpek, MD
Bendann Family Professor of Ophthalmology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Director, Ocular Surface Disease and Dry Eye Clinic
Wilmer Eye Institute
Associate Director, Jerome L. Greene Sjogren’s Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Medicine
John D. Sheppard, MD, MMSc, FACS
Professor of Ophthalmology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology
Program Director of Ophthalmology Residency Research
Clinical Director of the Thomas R. Lee Center for Ocular Pharmacology
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Medical Director, Lions Medical Eye Bank of Eastern Virginia
Mid-Atlantic Medical Director, Eye Care Partners
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty, Staff, and Planners’ Disclosures
The staff of Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities.
- Esen K. Akpek, MD
- Grant/Research Support: W.L. Gore, Novartis, Regeneron, Ocular Therapeutics, NEI, US Department of Defense
- Consultant: Novaliq, Sinqi Pharmaceutical, HanAll Biopharma
- Stock/Shareholder: FirstString Research
- John D. Sheppard, MD, MMSc, FACS
- Clinical research: AbbVie, Alcon, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Allergan, Alphaeon, ArcScan, Avedro, Bausch + Lomb, Clearside, Clearview, Clementia, Dompé, EyeGate Research, EyeRx Research, Glaukos, Hovione, InSite Vision, Inspire/Merck Pharmaceuticals, Isis Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kala Pharmaceuticals, Lacrisciences Vision, Lux Biosciences, NeoMedix, Novaliq, Novartis, Ocular Therapeutix, Okogen, Oyster Point Pharma, Parion Sciences, Pfizer, Rapid Pathogen Screening, R-Tech Uemo, Santen, Senju, Shire, Tear Solutions, Topcon, Xoma/Servier
- Consultant: AbbVie, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Allergan, Avedro, Bausch + Lomb, Bio-Tissue/TissueTech, Clearside, Dompé, Eleven, Hovione, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kowa, MedEdicus, NovaBay, Noveome Biotherapeutics/Stemnion, Ocular Therapeutix, Quidel, Science Based Health, Sun Pharmaceuticals, Surrozen, TearLab
- Advisory Board: 1-800-DOCTORS, Alcon, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Allergan, ArcScan, Avedro, Bausch + Lomb, BioLayer, Bruder Healthcare, Clearside, Clearview, Clementia Pharma, Dompé, Eyedetec Medical, EyeGate Research, Eyevance, Glaukos, Hovione, Imprimis Pharma, Inspire/Merck Pharmaceuticals, Isis Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kala Pharmaceuticals, Kowa, Lacrisciences, LayerBio, Lenstatin, Lux Biosciences, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Mati Therapeutics, Mitotech, NiCox, NovaBay, Novaliq, Novartis, Noveome Biotherapeutics/Stemnion, OcuCure Therapeutics, Oculis, Okogen, Omeros, Oyster Point Pharma, Parion, Portage, Quidel, Rapid Pathogen Screening, Santen, Shire, Sun Pharmaceuticals, Synedgen, Takeda, Talia Technology, TearLab, TopiVert
- Speaker’s Bureau: AbbVie, Alcon, Allergan, Bausch + Lomb, Bio-Tissue/TissueTech, Eleven, Eyedetec, EyeGate Research, Inspire/Merck Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Lumenis, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, MedEdicus, NiCox, Novartis, Omeros, PentaVision, Pfizer, Santen, Science Based Health, Takeda, Talia Technology, TearLab, Topcon
- Investor: Alphaeon, Mati Therapeutics, Noveome Biotherapeutics/Stemnion, Okogen, Rapid Pathogen Screening
- Stock/Shareholder: 1-800-DOCTORS, Alphaeon, BioLayer, Eyedetec, EyeGate Research, EyeRx Research, Eyevance, Lacrisciences, LayerBio, NovaBay, Noveome Biotherapeutics/Stemnion, OccuHub, OcuCure, Oyster Point Pharma, Rapid Pathogen Screening, Shire, TearLab
PER® mitigated all COI for faculty, staff, and planners prior to the start of this activity by using a multistep process.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
- Complete the activity (including pre- and post-activity assessments).
- Answer the evaluation questions.
- Request credit using the drop-down menu.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
Off-Label Disclosure and Disclaimer
This activity may or may not discuss investigational, unapproved, or off-label use of drugs. Learners are advised to consult prescribing information for any products discussed. The information provided in this accredited activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent clinical judgment of a health care professional relative to diagnostic, treatment, or management options for a specific patient’s medical condition. The opinions expressed in the content are solely those of the individual faculty members and do not reflect those of PER® or any company that provided commercial support for this activity.