Advances in™ Dry Eye Disease - The Future of Treatment for Patients with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction-Associated DED
January 17, 2021
January 17, 2022
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Bausch + Lomb
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Nurses — 1.0 Contact Hours
- Optometrists — 1.0 hours of Continuing Education credit by COPE
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This online educational activity is directed toward ophthalmologists, optometrists and other healthcare professionals who would be involved in dry eye disease care, such as PCPs, NPs and PAs.
This online educational activity is designed to provide expert interpretation of new and emerging data on the treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD)-associated dry eye disease (DED), with a forward-looking perspective on how new and novel agents may impact clinical practice. An overview of MGD and its association with DED as well as current and emerging treatment strategies will be presented in a multimedia format, including a series of video interviews with expert thought leaders integrated into text-based elements.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Discuss the impact that MGD-associated DED has on patients’ QoL
- Summarize the efficacy and safety of currently available agents used for the treatment of MGD-associated DED
- Describe the MOAs of agents under investigation for the treatment of MGD-associated DED
- Analyze clinical trial data for investigational agents in the treatment of MGD-associated DED
Joseph Tauber, MD
Tauber Eye Center
Kansas City, MO
John Sheppard, MD, MMSc, FACS
President, Virginia Eye Consultants
Board of Directors, CVP Physician Partners
Medical Director, Lions Medical Eye Bank of Eastern Virginia
Professor of Ophthalmology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology
Research Program Director, Ophthalmology Residency Training
Clinical Director, Thomas R. Lee Center for Ocular Pharmacology
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #16669, for 1.0 Contact Hours.
This activity, COPE Activity Number 122967, is accredited by COPE for continuing education for optometrists.
Faculty, Staff, and Planners’ Disclosures
The staff of Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities.
- Joseph Tauber, MD
- Grant/Research Support: Bausch & Lomb, NovaLiq, Alcon
- John Sheppard, MD, MMSc, FACS
- Grant/Research Support: AbbVie, Alcon, Aldeyra, Allergan, ArcScan, Avedro, Bausch + Lomb, Clearside Biomedical, Clearview Healthcare Partners, Clementia Pharmaceuticals, Dompé, EyeGate Research, EyeRx Research, Glaukos, Hovione, InSite Vision, Inc., Inspire Pharmaceuticals/Merck, Isis Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kala Pharmaceuticals, Lacrisciences, Lux Biosciecnes, NeoMedix, Novaliq, Novartis, Ocular Therapeutix, Okogen, Oyster Point, Pfizer, Rapid Pathogen Screening, Rutech, Santen, Senju, Shire, Tear Solutions, Topcon, XOMA/Servier
- Advisory Board: 1-800-DOCTORS, Alcon, Aldeyra, Allergan, ArcScan, Avedro, Bausch+Lomb, BioLayer, Bruder Healthcare, Clearside Biomedical, Clearview Healthcare Partners, Clementia Pharmaceuticals, Dompé, Eyedetec, EyeGate Research, Eyevance, Glaukos, Hovione, Imprimis Pharmaceuticals, Inspire Pharmaceuticals/Merck, Isis Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kala Pharmaceuticals, Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc., LacriSciences, LLC, LayerBio, Lenstatin, Lux Biosciences, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Mati Therapeutics, MioTech, Nicox, NovaBay Pharma, Novaliq, Novartis, Noveome Biotherapetuics/Stemnion, OcuCure Therapeutics, Oculis, Okogen, Omeros, Oyster Point Pharma, Parion Sciences, Portage Biotech, Quidel, Rapid Pathogen Screening, Santen Pharmaceutical, Shire, Sun Pharmaceuticals, Syndegen Biotech, Takeda, Talia Technology, TearLab, TopiVert
- Speakers Bureau: AbbVie, Alcon, Allergan, Avedro, Bausch+Lomb, Bio-Tissue/TissueTech, Dompé, Eleven Therapeutics, EyeGate Research, Inspire Pharmaceuticals/Merck, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Lumenis, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, MedEdicus, Nicox,Novartis, Omeros, PentaVision LLC, Pfizer, Santen, ScienceBased Health, Takeda, Talia Technology, TearLab, Topcon
- Consultant: AbbVie, Aldeyra, Allergan, Bausch+Lomb, Bio-Tissue/TissueTech, Clearside Biomedical, Dompé, Eleven, Hovione, Johnson & Johnson/TearScience/Vistakon, Kowa, MedEdicus, NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Noveome Biotherapetuics/Stemnion, Ocular Therapeutix, Oyster Point Pharma, Quidel, ScienceBased Health, Sun Pharma, TearLab
- Investor: ALPHAEON, Mati Therapeutics, Noveome Biotherapetuics/Stemnion, Okogen, Rapid Pathogen Screening
- Stock/Shareholder: 1-800-DOCTORS, ALPHAEON, BioLayer, EyeGate Research, EyeRx Research, Eyevance, LacriSciences, LLC, LayerBio, NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Noveome Biotherapetuics/Stemnion, OccuHub, OcuCure Inc, Rapid Pathogen Screening, Shire, TearLab
PER® mitigated all COI for faculty, staff, and planners prior to the start of this activity by using a multistep process.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
- Complete the activity (including pre- and post-activity assessments).
- Answer the evaluation questions.
- Request credit using the drop-down menu.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
Off-Label Disclosure and Disclaimer
This activity may or may not discuss investigational, unapproved, or off-label use of drugs. Learners are advised to consult prescribing information for any products discussed. The information provided in this accredited activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent clinical judgment of a health care professional relative to diagnostic, treatment, or management options for a specific patient’s medical condition. The opinions expressed in the content are solely those of the individual faculty members and do not reflect those of PER® or any company that provided commercial support for this activity.