Key Updates in the Treatment of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
December 30, 2020
February 27, 2021
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Practicing Clinicians Exchange.
This activity was developed from a series of programs cosupported by educational grants from Astellas; Astellas and Pfizer, Inc; Bristol-Myers Squibb; Celgene Corporation; Eisai Inc; Pharmacyclics LLC, an AbbVie Company and Janssen Biotech, Inc, administered by Pharmacyclics, LLC; Taiho Oncology, Inc; and Sanofi Genzyme.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Pharmacyclics, LLC.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Pharmacists — maximum of 1.0 contact hours (0.10 CEUs)
- Nurses — 1.0 Contact Hours
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of Oncology NPs, PAs, and nurses.
In this activity, learn about approaches to individualize therapeutic strategies in newly diagnosed chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), how to choose the optimal treatment for relapsed/refractory CLL and sequence targeted agents, management strategies for adverse events associated with new agents, and ongoing phase III clinical trials.
After completing this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Consider efficacy and safety profile of the therapeutic agent along with patient characteristics and molecular features of CLL to individualize therapeutic strategies in newly diagnosed CLL
- Choose optimal treatment for relapsed/refractory CLL based on available clinical data, guidelines, and expert recommendations
- Plan treatment strategies that sequence targeted agents to optimize patient outcomes and quality of life
- Mitigate and manage adverse events associated with newer treatment approaches for CLL to ensure treatment adherence as well as improved clinical outcomes and quality of life
- Identify patients with CLL who are candidates for ongoing trials
Jacob D. Soumerai, MD
Clinical Instructor, Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Clinical Investigator in Lymphoma, Medicine
Massachusetts General Hospital
Corinne Williams, PA-C
Division of Hematology-Oncology
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Immediate Past President
Association of Physician Assistants in Oncology
Joint Accreditation Statement
In support of improving patient care, Clinical Care Options, LLC (CCO) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
ANCC Credit Designation
The maximum number of hours awarded for this Continuing Nursing Education activity is 1.0 contact hour, which includes 1.0 hour of pharmacology credit.
AAPA Credit Designation
Clinical Care Options, LLC has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 1.00 AAPA Category 1 CME credit.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
Clinical Care Options, LLC (CCO) requires instructors, planners, managers, and other individuals who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any relevant conflict of interest (COI) they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified COI are thoroughly vetted and resolved according to CCO policy. CCO is committed to providing its learners with high-quality CME/CE activities and related materials that promote improvements or quality in healthcare and not a specific proprietary business interest of a commercial interest.
The faculty reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME/CE activity:
Jacob D. Soumerai, MD
- Consultant: AbbVie, AstraZeneca, Verastem
- Grant/Research Support: BeiGene, Roche/Genentech, TG Therapeutics
Corinne Williams, PA-C
- Consultant: AstraZeneca
None of the members of the CE Alliance or Clinical Care Options, LLC staff have any relevant relationships to disclose.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
Participants wishing to earn CE/CME credit must::
- Read the content in its entirety.
- Relate the content material to the learning objectives.
- Complete the post-test and evaluation form.
Successful completion of the post-test is required to earn CE/CME credit. Successful completion is defined as a cumulative score of at least 70%.
The estimated time to complete this activity is 1.00 hour.
The opinions or views expressed in this CE/CME activity do not necessarily reflect the opinions or recommendations of Continuing Education Alliance, Practicing Clinicians Exchange, or any educational supporter.
For Practicing Clinicians Exchange general information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.