Optimizing Prophylaxis Strategies of Hemophilia A with or without Inhibitors: For Whom, When, and How Long?
June 26, 2020
June 26, 2021
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is jointly provided by Global Education Group and PlatformQ Health Education, LLC.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Genentech, a member of the Roche Group.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Nurses — 1.0 Contact Hour
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
The educational design of this activity addresses the needs of hematologists, pediatric hematologists, hematologist-oncologists, pediatricians, pharmacists, hemophilia pharmacists, hemophilia nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other clinicians involved in the management of patients with hemophilia.
Statement of Need/Program Overview
Hemophilia A (factor VIII [factor 8] deficiency) is an X-linked inherited coagulation factor deficiency. The management of hemophilia A has improved significantly in recent years with the availability of factor replacement agents, such as with extended half-life replacement agents and non-factor replacement therapy. Unfortunately, the optimal management remains complex and poses significant challenges for clinicians who care for patients with hemophilia. This is highlighted in outcomes results from recent educational activities.
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Identify the numerous clinical factors when determining a therapeutic plan for your patient with hemophilia A
- Evaluate the mechanisms, safety, and efficacy of currently available products for bleeding prophylaxis in patients with severe hemophilia A
- Summarize the best practices when managing patients with hemophilia A with inhibitors
Stacy E. Croteau, MD, MMS
Director Hemophilia/VWD program, Boston Children's Hospital
Medical Director, Boston Hemophilia Center
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Steven Pipe, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Laurence A. Boxer Research Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases
Pediatric Medical Director, Hemophilia and Coagulation Disorders Program
Director, Special Coagulation Laboratory
University of Michigan
Kelly Tickle, MSN, APN, PCNS-BC, PPCNP-BC
Hematology Pediatric Nurse Practitioner for the Comprehensive Bleeding Disorder Center
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Physician Accreditation Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Global Education Group (Global) and PlatformQ Health Education, LLC. Global is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physician Credit Designation
Global Education Group designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nursing Continuing Education
Global Education Group is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This educational activity for 1.0 contact hours is provided by Global Education Group. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Instructions to Receive Credit
In order to receive credit for this activity, the participant must (1) read the target audience, learning objectives, and disclosure statements, (2) complete the educational activity online, and (3) complete the post-test and activity evaluation. To receive AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™, participants must receive a minimum score of 70% on the post-test.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
Global Education Group (Global) requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals and their spouse/life partner who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified conflicts of interest are thoroughly vetted by Global for fair balance, scientific objectivity of studies mentioned in the materials or used as the basis for content, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations.
The faculty reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME activity:
Stacy E. Croteau, MD, MMS
- Consultant/Independent Contractor: Genentech, Sigilon, Tremeau Pharmaceuticals
- Grant/Research Support to institution: Boehringer Ingelheim, Novo Nordisk, Pfizer, Spark Therapeutics
- Honoraria: Bayer, Hemophilia Federation of America (HFA), National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF), Pfizer
- Advisory Board: ATHN, Hemophilia Alliance, THSNA
Steven Pipe, MD
- Consultant/Independent Contractor: Apcintex, Bayer, Biomarin, Catalyst Biosciences, CSL Behring, HEMA Biologics, Freeline, Novo Nordisk, Pfizer, Roche/Genentech, Sangamo Therapeutics, Sanofi, Takeda, Spark Therapeutics, uniQure (NOTE: No individual relationship exceeds $20000).
Kelly Tickle, MSN, APN, PCNS-BC, PPCNP-BC
- Grant/Research Support: National Hemophilia Foundation Nursing Excellence Fellowship Grant Program
The planners and managers reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME activity:
- Ashley Marostica, RN, MSN: Nothing to disclose
- Lindsay Borvansky: Nothing to disclose
- Andrea Funk: Nothing to disclose
- Liddy Knight: Nothing to disclose
- Ashley Cann: Nothing to disclose
- Tariqa Ackbarali: Nothing to disclose
- Alissa Yost: Nothing to disclose
- Bridget Griffin: Nothing to disclose
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Global Education Group (Global) and PlatformQ Health, Inc. do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of any organization associated with this activity. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of patient conditions and possible contraindications on dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
For information about the accreditation of this program, please contact Global at 303-395-1782 or email@example.com.
Technical Support: For any technical issues or issues with your CME Certificate, please contact OMedLive at 877-394-1306 or at Support@OMedLive.com
Information we collect is primarily used to communicate with program participants, award CME/CE credits, manage user accounts, recommend relevant programs and perform data analysis to inform educational outcomes.
In plain English, here is what we affirm:
- You can change your registration profile at any time from our “Profile” page
- To request any of these changes without logging in, please call us at 1 (877) 394-1306 or email us at support@PlatformQHealth.com
- You can end your association with PlatformQ Health at any time
- PlatformQ Health does not spam, nor we do we rent or sell our email list in whole or in part. Any program-related data sharing is for engagement verification and opt-in based further education
- EU citizens can request a complete record of their account and/or request to have their personal data expunged by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Request”