Utilizing Patient Education as an Essential Element to Reduce COPD Rehospitalizations
May 30, 2019
August 1, 2020
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Horizon CME.
Supported by an educational grant from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Physicians — maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of primary care clinicans, NPs, PAs and other health care professionals involved in the care of patients with COPD.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Apply current guideline recommendations for escalation and de-escalation of inhaled therapies in patients with COPD
- Select inhaler devices taking into consideration patient- and device-specific characteristics
- Demonstrate proper inhaler technique for different inhalation devices
- Provide recommended discharge and transitional care planning to patients COPD to improve outcomes
Emily S. Wan, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Channing Division of Network Medicine
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Harvard Medical School
Amit Singh Tibb, MD FCCP
Chief Quality Officer, Valley Medical Group
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Physician Accreditation Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the providership of Horizon CME. Horizon CME is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physician Credit Designation
Horizon CME designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
Amit Singh Tibb, MD
- Dr. Tibb discloses no relevant financial relationships with an ACCME/ANCC-defined commercial interest during the past 12 months.
Emily Wan, MD, MPH
- Dr. Wan discloses no relevant financial relationships with an ACCME/ANCC-defined commercial interest during the past 12 months.
Other Contributor/Planner Disclosures
- Eric Kleerup, MD provided external review for this activity. Dr. Kleerup discloses no relevant financial relationships with an ACCME/ANCC-defined commercial interest during the past 12 months.
- Additional non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. The planners of this activity do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of the planners. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Method of Participation
Statement of credit will be available to print from your user history page.
- Read the learning objectives and faculty disclosures.
- Participate in the activity.
- Complete the post-test and activity evaluation.
- Physicians who successfully complete the post-test and evaluation will receive CME credit. You must score with an 75% or higher on the post-test to receive credit for this activity.
- All other participants who successfully complete the post-test and evaluation will receive a certificate of participation.
Learner Assurance Statement
Horizon CME requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals who are in a position to influence the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest (COI) which may arise as a result of prospective faculty members' relevant relationships with drug or device manufacturer(s). Horizon CME is committed to resolving all conflicts of interest and retaining only those speakers with financial interest conflicts that can be reconciled with the goals and educational integrity of the CME activity.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient's conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer's product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above.