Investigating Critical Issues in the Management of Patients with Severe Asthma
November 26, 2019
November 26, 2020
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Integrity Continuing Education, Inc.
Supported by an educational grant from Sanofi Genzyme and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This educational initiative has been designed for allergists, pulmonologists, internal medicine physicians, and specialty nurse practitioners and physician assistants involved in the management of patients with severe asthma.
This program begins with an introduction to severe asthma and a review of the scope of issues in effective patient management. Following the introduction, a case study patient is presented, and a series of questions are asked to the learner to allow them to customize their participation. Key information on severe asthma phenotypes and endotypes, biomarker testing, evidence in support of biologic therapies, reduction of oral corticosteroid (OCS) use, and optimal management of patients with severe asthma are discussed by expert faculty.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Review severe asthma phenotypes and endotypes and conduct appropriate biomarker tests to differentiate between phenotypes in patients with severe asthma
- Evaluate the latest evidence supporting the use of biologic therapies for the management of severe asthma
- Incorporate into practice the most recent recommendations for the optimal management of patients with severe asthma
- Implement strategies to minimize the use of OCS in patients with severe asthma
John Oppenheimer, MD
Clinical Professor of Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Morristown, New Jersey
Reynold A. Panettieri, Jr., MD
Professor of Medicine
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Vice Chancellor, Clinical & Translational Science
Director, Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine & Science
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Emeritus Professor of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Physician Accreditation Statement
Integrity Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physician Credit Designation
Integrity Continuing Education, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
Integrity Continuing Education requires instructors, planners, managers, and other individuals who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified conflicts of interest are thoroughly vetted by Integrity Continuing Education for fair balance, scientific objectivity of studies mentioned in the materials or used as the basis for content, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations. The following faculty/planners reported the financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of these CME activities:
John J. Oppenheimer, MD
- Consulting Fees: GlaxoSmithKline, PLC; Kaléo, Inc.; Teva Pharmaceuticals USA
- Contracted Research: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; GlaxoSmithKline, PLC; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; Sanofi/Regeneron
Reynold A. Panettieri, Jr., MD
- Consulting Fees: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; MedImmune Inc.; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; Sanofi/Regeneron
- Speakers Bureaus: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Boston Scientific; Sanofi/Regeneron; Teva Pharmaceuticals USA
- Contracted Research: Amgen Inc.; AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company; Genentech Inc.; Gilead Sciences, Inc.; MedImmune Inc.; RFIM; Sanofi/Regeneron; Theratrophix; Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
The Integrity Continuing Education, Inc. planners have nothing to disclose.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Integrity Continuing Education, Inc. and Sanofi Genzyme and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of any organization associated with this activity. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Method of Participation
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME credit for this activity. During the period of November 26, 2019 through November 26, 2020 participants must:
- Read the learning objectives and faculty disclosures
- Complete the pretest
- Study the educational activity
- Complete the posttest and the evaluation form
A statement of credit will be issued only upon receipt of a completed activity evaluation form and a completed posttest with a score of 70% or better.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above.
The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
For information about the ACCME accreditation of this activity, please contact Integrity Continuing Education, Inc. at (855) 835-4004 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.