Insulin Options for Diabetes: Update on their Evolution
June 27, 2019
December 27, 2019
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is presented by Joslin Diabetes Center in Joint Providership with PlatformQ Health Education, LLC.
Supported by an educational grants from Lilly, Novo Nordisk Inc., Medtronic, and MannKind Corporation. For further information concerning Lilly grant funding visit www.lillygrantoffice.com.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
Primary audience: Primary care clinicians (physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners) and care support staff such as nurses, diabetes specialists (such as endocrinologists and diabetologists), specialty clinicians in non-diabetes fields such as cardiologists and nephrologists, and pharmacists.
Secondary audience: Other medical professionals, such as certified diabetes educators.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
Insulin Options for Diabetes: Update on their Evolution
- Discuss recent data on newer basal and prandial insulins, as well as insulin technology, and its implication on the design and implementation of insulin replacement therapies
- Recognize the indications for initiation and/or advancement of, insulin replacement therapy for people with type 2 diabetes
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Joslin Diabetes Center and PlatformQ Health Education, LLC. Joslin Diabetes Center is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statements
Live Internet Activities
Joslin Diabetes Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activities.
Joslin Diabetes Center designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
As part of its accreditation with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education, Joslin Diabetes Center must disclose to the audience of a Joslin continuing medical education activity the existence of any relevant financial relationships between Joslin and/or its planning and/or CME advisory committee members, speakers, and their spouses/partners and commercial entities. Joslin and its planning and CME advisory committee members and speakers must disclose any relationships they and their spouses/partners have or have had in the prior 12 months with proprietary entities producing healthcare goods or services, with the exception of nonprofit or government organizations and non-healthcare-related companies, which are exempt.
Financial relationships are those relationships in which the individual benefits by receiving a salary, royalty, intellectual property rights, consulting fees, honoraria, ownership interests (e.g., stocks, stock options, or other ownership interest, excluding diversified mutual funds), or other financial benefit in any amount. Financial benefits are usually associated with roles such as employment, management position, independent contractor (including contracted research), consulting, speaking and teaching, membership on advisory committees or review panels, board membership, and other activities from which remuneration is received or expected.
If a faculty or planning committee member has no information to disclose, this information will also be provided. If a faculty or planning committee member refuses to disclose, he/she will not be able to participate in the planning, management, presentation, or evaluation of any Joslin Diabetes Center CME activity. In addition, faculty have been asked to disclose when a product or device is not labeled for the use under discussion. The opinions and comments expressed in this program are those of the speakers and should not be considered the opinions or comments of Joslin Diabetes Center.
The planners and faculty have reported the following financial relationships with commercial interests. Via Joslin internal review, any relationship deemed relevant to the content of this activity has been identified and resolved through Joslin’s internal processes.
The faculty and planning committee members for this program have disclosed the following:
- Dr. Richard S. Beaser*†, Senior Staff Physician and Medical Director of CME, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships with regard to this activity.
- Alissa R. Segal, PharmD, CDE, CDTC, FCCP, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, MCPHS University; Clinical Pharmacist, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships with regard to this activity.
- Martin J. Abrahamson, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, has received consulting fees from Novo Nordisk and WebMD Health Services.
- Joseph Chebli, PharmD, Medical Director, PlatformQ Health Education, holds stock in Bristol Myers Squibb, Medtronic, and Pfizer.
- Elizabeth del Nido, Senior Program Manager, PlatformQ Health Education, has no relevant financial relationships with regard to this activity.
Joslin CME Advisory Committee
- Jerry Cavallerano, OD, Optometrist, Beetham Eye Institute, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships.
- Nuha El Sayed, MD, Staff Physician and Medical Director, Professional Education, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships.
- Erin Kelly, M.Ed., RN, BSN, CDE, Adult Diabetes Educator, Joslin Diabetes Center, holds stock in Tandem Diabetes Care.
- Lyle Mitzner, MD, Staff Physician, Joslin Diabetes Center, is a consultant for Conversa Health.
- Alissa Segal, Pharm D, CDE, CDTC, FCCP, Clinical Pharmacist, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships.
- Robert C. Stanton, MD, Chief of Nephrology, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships
- Elena Toschi, MD, Staff Physician, Joslin Diabetes Center, has no relevant financial relationships.
* Also on the Planning Committee
† Also on the CME Advisory Committee
Method of Participation
There are no fees to participate in this activity. To receive credit, participants must (1) read the target audience, learning objectives, and disclosure statements, (2) complete the educational activity online, and (3) complete the posttest and activity evaluation. It is estimated that this module will take approximately 3 hours to complete. To receive AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™, participants must receive a minimum score of 70% on the posttest.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above.
Disclaimers (if applicable)
The material is prepared based on a review of multiple sources of information but is not exhaustive of the subject matter. Therefore, health care professionals and other individuals should review and consider other publications and materials about the subject matter other than relying solely on the information contained in this material.
The information presented at this CME program represents the views and opinions of the individual presenters, and does not constitute the opinion or endorsement of, or promotion by Joslin Diabetes Center, DiabetesSeriesLive, PlatformQ Health Education, LLC or the program grantor. Reasonable efforts have been made to present educational subject matter in a balanced, unbiased fashion and in compliance with regulatory requirements. Each participant must use his/her personal and professional judgment when considering further application of this information, particularly as it may relate to patient diagnostic or treatment decisions including, without limitation, FDA-approved uses and any off-label uses.
Please send content inquiries to: email@example.com
For technical problems with the site or issues with your CME Certificate, please contact DiabetesSeriesLive at 877-394-1306 or at Support@DiabetesSeriesLive.com.
Information we collect is primarily used to communicate with program participants, award CME/CE credits, manage user accounts, recommend relevant programs and perform data analysis to inform educational outcomes.
In plain English, here is what we affirm:
- You can change your registration profile at any time from our “Profile” page
- To request any of these changes without logging in, please call us at 1 (877) 394-1306 or email us at support@PlatformQHealth.com
- You can end your association with PlatformQ Health at any time
- PlatformQ Health does not spam, nor we do we rent or sell our email list in whole or in part. Any program-related data sharing is for engagement verification and opt-in based further education
- EU citizens can request a complete record of their account and/or request to have their personal data expunged by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Request”