Expert Perspectives: Focus on Managing Patients with Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis
Provided by the Annenberg Center for Health Sciences.
This activity is supported by an independent educational grant from Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
Release date: September 29, 2017
Valid through: September 28, 2018
Specialty: Dermatology, Primary Care Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses
Topic: Plaque Psoriasis
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes
This activity was developed for dermatologists, dermatology fellows, advanced nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other health care professionals who have an interest in moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis.
Alan Menter, MD, discusses best practices in establishing disease severity in patients with plaque psoriasis, the efficacy and safety of established and newly approved systemic therapies for treating patients with moderate-to-severe disease, and how to optimize treatment for patients with chronic plaque psoriasis.
- Assessing psoriasis severity
- Comorbidity evaluation
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonists
- Newly approved IL-17/IL-23 agents
- Emerging oral therapies
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Assess psoriasis patients for disease severity
- Discuss safety and efficacy of newly approved and emerging agents for the treatment of plaque psoriasis
- Optimize treatment for patients with chronic psoriasis by tailoring therapy to meet individual health risk factors and comorbidities, prior treatment history, patient quality of life, and patient preferences
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Nurse Practitioners — AANP 1.0 contact hour(s)
- Nurses — 1.0 Nursing contact hour(s)
All other health care professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
Alan Menter, MD
Chair, Division of Dermatology
Baylor University Medical Center
Clinical Professor of Dermatology
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Physician Continuing Medical Education
The Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nurse Practitioner Continuing Education
Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Provider number: 040207.
This program is accredited for 1.0 contact hour. Program ID #5548-EM.
Nursing Continuing Education
A maximum of 1.0 contact hour may be earned for successful completion of this activity.
Annenberg Center for Health Sciences is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #13664, for 1.0 contact hour.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
- Research Support: AbbVie, Allergan, Amgen, Anacor, Boehringer Ingelheim, Celgene, Dermira, Eli Lilly, Janssen, Leo, Merck, Neothetics, Novartis, Pfizer, Regeneron, Symbio/Maruho, Xenoport
- Consultant: AbbVie, Allergan, Amgen, Eli Lilly, Galderma, Janssen, Leo, Novartis, Pfizer, Vitae, Xenoport
- Advisory Board: AbbVie, Allergan, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Janssen, Leo
- Speakers Bureau: AbbVie, Amgen, Janssen, Leo
- Eugene Cullen, MD (peer reviewer): no significant relationship to disclose
- Alexandra Howson, PhD (medical writer): no significant relationship to disclose
- Gabrielle Schwilk, PhD, FNP-BC, MSN (lead nurse planner): no significant relationship to disclose
- John Bayliss, VP, Business Development: spouse is an employee of Amgen, Inc.
- Charles Willis, Director, Continuing Education: consults for Pfizer, Inc.
- All other staff at the Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower have no relevant commercial relationships to disclose.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
There are no fees for participating and receiving credit for this activity. During the accredited period, participants must read the learning objectives and faculty disclosures; study the educational activity; and complete the post-test and the evaluation form. If you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation, your certificate will be available immediately for download in PDF format.
Hardware and Software Requirements
This site is best viewed with an HTML5 compatible browser, this list includes the current versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Apple's Safari. You can visit the independent (3rd party) site www.whatismybrowser.com to determine if you have the latest version of your browser. Certain educational activities may require additional software to view multimedia, presentation, or printable versions of their content. That software may be: Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Powerpoint, Windows Media Player, and Real Networks Real One Player. Where such software is required it will be indicated.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
The faculty for this activity has disclosed that there will be no discussion about the use of products for non-FDA approved applications.
The ideas and opinions presented in this educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Annenberg Center and/or its agents. As in all educational activities, we encourage practitioners to use their own judgment in treating and addressing the needs of each individual patient, taking into account that patient’s unique clinical situation. The Annenberg Center disclaims all liability and cannot be held responsible for any problems that may arise from participating in this activity or following treatment recommendations presented.