Best of the 15th Annual South Beach Symposium: Virtual Highlights
Jointly provided by Global Education Group and South Beach Symposium.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Allergan, Celgene, LEO Pharma, Lilly, Merz North America Inc., Pfizer, Sanofi-Regeneron, and Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC.
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
Release date: June 30, 2017
Valid through: June 30, 2018
Topic: Atopic Dermatitis, Acne, Psoriasis
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes
The educational design of this activity addresses the needs of physicians, nurses, and professional staff members of medical practices involved in the treatment of patients in dermatology, pediatric dermatology, plastic surgery, cosmetic surgery and other dermatologic medical procedures.
Statement of Need/Program Overview
The South Beach Symposium 2017 Highlights features three talks related to acne in all ages and skin tones, management of psoriasis patients, and treatment options for severe atopic dermatitis. This one hour online video is taught by SBS faculty members Diane Berson, M.D., David Pariser, M.D., and Leon Kircik, M.D.
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Select the appropriate therapies for patients with acne, including when to utilize combination oral and topical therapeutic agents and other treatment modalities.
- Identify effective methods for developing patient-centered care of psoriasis patients through communication, QOL assessment and patient education.
- Discuss the mechanisms of action, safety, and efficacy of treatment options for Atopic Dermatitis.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- Nurses — maximum of 1.0 contact hour
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
Diane Berson, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Weill Medical College
Assistant Attending Dermatologist
New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Diane S. Berson, MD, is an Associate Professor of Dermatology at Weill Medical College of Cornell University and an Assistant Attending Dermatologist at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital. She has a private dermatology practice in NYC, and volunteers at the NY Presbyterian Hospital Department of Dermatology where she teaches medical students and residents. Dr. Berson received her undergraduate degree from Cornell University, College of Arts and Science where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She pursued her medical education at New York University School of Medicine. This was followed by an internship in internal medicine at Bellevue Hospital, NYU Medical Center, and a residency in dermatology at State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, where she served as Chief resident during her final year of training. She was certified by the American Board of Dermatology in 1988.
Dr. Berson’s practice focuses on medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatology and cutaneous oncology. She also has an interest in the treatment of acne, particularly in adults. Dr. Berson has conducted clinical trials and published articles concerning the treatment of acne and rosacea and other dermatological topics. She has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, and many magazines including Allure, In Style, Town and Country, Health, Real Simple, Fitness, Self, Good Housekeeping, Glamour, W and more. She has also been interviewed often in the media, including NBC’s Today Show, The CBS Early Show, ABC World News Tonight, CNN Headline News, MSNBC, Fox News and local news networks. She lectures regularly at national dermatology conferences. Dr. Berson is on the editorial boards of Practical Dermatology, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery.
Dr. Berson is the Past President of the Women’s Dermatologic Society, Chair of the Past President’s Advisory Committee and also serves on its Board of Directors and the Executive, Legacy, Awards, and Fundraising committees. She is on the Board of Directors of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery and also on the Medical Council of the Skin Cancer Foundation, the Board of Trustees of the Dermatology Foundation, and a founding board member of both The American Society of Cosmetic Dermatology and Aesthetic Surgery and the American Acne and Rosacea Society. Dr. Berson is a media spokesperson for The American Academy of Dermatology and was elected to the American Dermatological Association. She is also a member of the President’s Council of Cornell Women and the Cornell University Council.
David M. Pariser, MD, FACP, FAAD
Eastern Virginia Medical School
A practicing dermatologist for 40 years, Dr. David Pariser is the senior physician of Pariser Dermatology Specialists. He is a world-renowned expert on psoriasis, hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and photodynamic therapy, a treatment for early skin cancers and pre-cancers. He spends much of his time doing clinical research and has been involved in the development and testing of most drugs now commonly used in the practice of dermatology. A sought-after lecturer, he has been invited to teach other dermatologists at over 200 medical conventions in the US and around the word. His research work has led to the authorship of 4 textbooks and over 300 scientific publications in the medical literature.
In 2009, his colleagues elected him President of the American Academy of Dermatology, the organization which represents nearly all dermatologists in the US and many from abroad. He has served in leadership roles in many other national and local dermatologic organizations and was voted as “Top Doctor” by Hampton Roads Magazine.
Multiple national awards of recognition have been presented to him by the American Academy of Dermatology and the American Dermatological Association. He has been voted by his peers the Educator of the Year (highest rated speaker) by both the Fall and Winter Clinical Dermatology Conferences, a popular educational convention for dermatologists from the US and around the world. As a member of the Executive Committee of the International League of Dermatologic Societies, the world body of dermatology, he has participated in the operation and management of and has participated in teaching and patient care on multiple visits to a special facility in Tanzania which provides dermatology education and patient care to a seriously underserved population in sub-Saharan Africa.
He has been interviewed and provided medical information to the public through media outlets such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, WEB MD and many other print and on-line media outlets which help to educate the public on issues related to skin health and disease.
Leon Kircik, MD
Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology
Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis, IN
Icahn School of Medicine
Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York City
Leon Kircik, MD is a Board Certified Dermatologist who graduated with AOA Honors from State University of New York at the Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn after completing his undergraduate work with Phi Beta Kappa at New York University. He completed a Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology Fellowship under the auspices of Dr. Frederick Mohs at the University of Wisconsin after completing his dermatology residency at State University of New York in Buffalo.
He currently teaches as Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis, IN, as well as at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. Dr. Kircik is also the Medical Director of DermResearch, PLLC and Physicians Skin Care, PLLC in Louisville, Kentucky. He has been the principal investigator of numerous clinical trials for psoriasis, acne, rosacea, atopic dermatitis, skin cancers, and actinic keratosis, just to name a few.
Dr. Kircik is an author of many scientific articles, abstracts and posters. He has lectured extensively nationally and internationally on all aspects of dermatologic conditions. In addition, he also serves on the advisory boards of several pharmaceutical companies as a consultant. He is on the editorial board of Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, Practical Dermatology, The Journal of Clinical & Aesthetic Dermatology, and Case Report in Clinical Pathology. He volunteers for multiple local and national medical society committees.
Physician Continuing Medical Education
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Global Education Group (Global) and South Beach Symposium. Global is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Global Education Group designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nursing Continuing Education
Global Education Group is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This educational activity for 1.0 contact hour is provided by Global Education Group. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Global Contact Information
For information about the accreditation of this program, please contact Global at 303-395-1782 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosures of Conflicts of Interest
Global Education Group (Global) requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals and their spouse/life partner who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified conflicts of interest are thoroughly vetted by Global for fair balance, scientific objectivity of studies mentioned in the materials or used as the basis for content, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations.
The faculty reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME activity:
- Consultant:: Allergan, Galderma, P&G, Valeant, Revance, Taro, Aclaris. Stock: Top MD
- Honoraria/Grant/Research Funding: Bickel Biotechnology, Biofrontera AG, Celgene Corporation, Dermira, DUSA Pharmaceuticals, LEO Pharma, Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer, Promius, Regeneron, TheraVida, Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Abbott Laboratories, Amgen, Bickel Biotechnology, Celgene Corporation, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk A/S, Ortho Dermatologics, Pfizer, Photocure ASA, Stiefel a GSK company; Principal Investigator/No Compensation: Peplin, Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories: Speaker; Aclaris: Advisory Board; Acambis: Investigator; Allergan, Inc.: Investigator, Advisory Board, Speaker, Consultant; Almirall: Consulting, Advisory Board; Amgen, Inc.: Consultant, Investigator, Speaker; Anacor Pharmaceuticals: Investigator, Consultant, Advisory Board; Assos Pharma: Speaker; Astellas Pharma US, Inc.: Investigator, Speaker; Asubio: Investigator; Berlex Laboratores (Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals): Investigator; Biogen-Idec: Advisory Board; Biolife: Investigator; Biopelle: Investigator; Boehringer-Ingleheim: Investigator; Breckinridge Pharma: Investigator; Colbar: Consultant, Advisory Board; Celegene: Investigator, Advisory Board; Centocor, Inc.: Investigator; Cellceutix: Investigator; Cipher: Consultant, Speaker, Advisory Board; Coherus; Investigator; CollaBenex: Investigator, Consultant, Speaker; Combinatrix: Investigator; Connetics Corporation: Advisory Board; Coria: Investigator; Dermavant: Investigator; Dermira: Investigator; Dermik Laboratories: Speaker; Dow Pharmaceutical Sciences, Inc.: Investigator; Dusa: Investigator; Embil Pharmaceuticals: Speaker, Eli Lillly: Investigator; EOS: Advisory Board; Exeltis: Advisory Board, Consultant, Speaker, Investigator; Ferndale Laboratories, Inc.: Advisory Board, Investigator: Galderma Laboratories, LP: Consultant, Speaker, Advisory Board, Investigator; Genentech, Inc.: Advisory Board, Speaker, Investigator, Consultant; GlaxoSmithKline, PLC: Investigator; Health Point, LTD: Investigator; Idera: Investigator; Intendis: Advisory Board, Consultant, Investigator; Innocutis: Speaker, Advisory Board; Innovail: Speaker; Isdin: Advisory Board, Consultant; Johnson & Johnson: Consultant, Investigator, Advisory Board, Speaker, Stockholder; Laboratory Skin Care, Inc.: Consultant, LEO: Investigator, Consultant, Speaker; L'Oreal: Investigator, Speaker; 3M: Speaker, Investigator; Maruho: Investigator; Medical International Technologies: Consultant; Merck: Consultant, Investigator; Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp.: Investigator; Merz: Consultant; Nano Bio: Advisory Board, Investigator; Novartis AG: Investigator, Consultant; Noven Pharmaceuticals: Investigator; Nucryst Pharmaceuticals: Investigator; Obagi: Investigator; Onset: Investigator, Speaker; OrthoNeutrogena: Speaker, Investigator, Advisory Board, Consultant; Promius: Investigator Consultant, Advisory Board; PediaPharma: Speaker; QLT, Inc.: Investigator; PharmaDerm: Investigator, Speaker; Pfixer: Investigator; PuraCap: Consultant; Quinnova: Investigator, Advisory Board; Quatrix: Investigator; Serono: Speaker; SkinMedica, Inc.: Consultant, Advisory Board, Speaker; Stiefel Laboratories, Inc.: Speaker, investigator, Advisory Board, Consultant: Sun Pharma: Consulant, Advisory Board, Speaker, Investigator; Taro: Consultant/Speaker; TolerRx: Investigator; Triax: Speaker; UCB: Investigator, Consultant, Speaker; Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl.: Advisory Board, Investigator, Speaker, Consultant; Warner-Chilcott: Advisory Board, Speaker, Investigator; XenoPort: Investigator; ZAGE: Consultant.
- Ashley Marostica, RN, MSN: Nothing to disclose
- Lindsay Borvansky: Nothing to disclose
- Andrea Funk: Nothing to disclose
- Laura Gilsdorf: Nothing to disclose
Instructions for Participation and Credit
To claim accredit, attendees must participate in the web activity in its entirety, complete and pass the post-test with a score of at least 70%, and complete the evaluation.
Fee Information & Refund/Cancellation Policy
There is no fee for this online activity.
Hardware and Software Requirements
This site is best viewed with an HTML5 compatible browser, this list includes the current versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Apple's Safari. You can visit the independent (3rd party) site www.whatismybrowser.com to determine if you have the latest version of your browser. Certain educational activities may require additional software to view multimedia, presentation, or printable versions of their content. That software may be: Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Powerpoint, Windows Media Player, and Real Networks Real One Player. Where such software is required it will be indicated.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Global Education Group (Global) and South Beach Symposium do not recommend the use of any agent outside of the labeled indications.
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of any organization associated with this activity. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of patient conditions and possible contraindications on dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.